| Rule 11 no longer exists due to an update.|
This page is being preserved as a historical article.
Rule 11 was the rule prohibiting the advertising of external websites on RuneScape or on the official forums. It was one of the original Rules of Conduct, but as of 11 May 2009, this rule now falls under the Security category. Players who broke this rule were often issued very lengthy (and possibly permanent) bans or mutes. This even included telling other players a URL, or website address. Many players thought that this was a bit overboard.
NOTE: Website advertising is still reportable under the 'Advertising websites' subsection of Security, and the punishments for guilty parties remain the same. However, use your judgement when submitting a report - see the examples below for details.
The following example is against the rules.
- Person 1: Hey, ever heard of (inappropriate website)? It's great!
- Person 2 reports Person 1 for advertising a website.
The following example is not against the rules.
- Person 1: Hey, you weren't on Call of Duty 4 last night.
- Person 2: Yeah, I know, I have a lot of homework to catch up on.
- Person 1: Aw man, you missed this great match.
This is not reportable, as they are talking to each other, and not actively advertising the product.
- Player 1: Hey, what was the URL of that YouTube video you uploaded?
- Player 2: Oh, it's at (Youtube URL)
Player 2: ::Player 1: Ok, I'll go watch it.
This is controversial and often overlooked. Player 1 can report report Player 2 for breaking Rule 11, but most of the time Player 1 wouldn't report Player 2 because he asked for the URL, and Player 2 was just responding. But, Player 1 can still report Player 2 for breaking Rule 11 because Jagex does not allow any player to tell another player any URL.